Saturday, October 21, 2017

Beginning Today

Saturday Stories
October 21, 2017


I

An image of a farmer is on my mind. I feel like I'm standing over fertile soil, waiting for the rich harvest.

There is the anticipation of what is to come, and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Perhaps this is how Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) felt in Field of Dreams.

"If you build it," said the voice, "he will come..."

II

I mean that as a metaphor, though I've lived on a farm in Bulacan in the mid-2000s. A friend took me there me because he was alone and lonely, which was ironic because when I go out into the woods, alone, I was so happy.

I wrote a poem while I was there, "Beginning Today." It was inspired in part by the Agot Isidro classic, one of my featured songs this week along with Erik Santos' version of "May Bukas Pa" – the theme of one of my favorite TV series of all time. 

For the first time, I was listening, really listening, to the beautiful melodies of the crickets and katydids as half the world slept.

My poem was eventually featured on the August 2017 edition of The Year of The Poet, a literary anthology published by Inner Child Press based in South Carolina.

Here is a short excerpt: 

"I am looking into my eyes,
and for the first time,
I am seeing who I really am,
I am seeing my true being
and it is a wonderful feeling..."

III

I had a book of poems with me that night. I love the young English poet John Keats, who was born on this month 222 years ago, more than I can put down in words.

I read aloud "Ode To A Nightingale," the poignant pouring of his soul with a subtle hint about taking one's own life. A psychologist friend once asked me if I had ever thought of doing it.

I said Yes, I have. I was in deep contemplation about it on that quiet, sacred night. And I've realized, as seductive as the idea can be, that it is not my path.  

I've also recited "Endymion" under the light of the moon near the break of dawn. By coincidence, and coming into full circle, I'm playing today my recording of the timeless opening of this romantic epic:

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing..."

Endymion
John Keats


Beginning Today
Agot Isidro


May Bukas Pa
Erik Santos


Field of Dreams






No comments: